General Discussion

1.2 Preview – Class Icons

Forum Image

Among the coming game update 1.2 changes, we’re getting a new addition to our character nameplates– class icons. The icons themselves are based off the class icons seen elsewhere in Star Wars: The Old Republic, and all have easily-distinguished colors to help players identify enemy and friendly players without having to zoom in or mouse over them. The colors transpire across factions, each mirror class sharing a color. The class symbols themselves are unique.
These icons can be toggled on and off in the Preferences menu, under Nameplates, and will only appear if a player has nameplates enabled. For players who have not selected an advanced class yet, there are even icons for the basic classes, colored grey.

Last edited by WWBrooklyn on Apr. 12th, 2012 5:34:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Here’s a handy diagram for the non-advanced classes:
Forum Image

And here’s the diagram for the advanced classes:
Forum Image

Forum Image

This addition is rather minor, of course, but interesting. The ability to quickly discern a player’s advanced class from a far distance has some possibilities attached to it. I can definitely see the use of these icons in world PvP, for example.
It will especially be helpful once we’re able to tailor our endgame gear away from the easily-identifiable tier gear and utilize some of the new modded gear choices. With more ways to customize the appearance of our characters, these icons will help in identifying possible healers and tanks during a hectic battle.
It’s also rather nifty to see the class icons appear in other places besides the class trainers and advanced class selection screens. Specific class icons seem to fit well within the futuristic Star Wars universe, and the game’s universe as a whole. The icons are also a way to further customize our user interface, and customization is always a rather cool thing, even when it comes in small packages.

Sounds good, but what are they going to do for me? I'm in a class all by myself :P

Maybe this?? tongue out

Forum Image

Sorry, Couldn't resist

About the Weary Warriors

The Weary Warriors Gaming Guild has the single purpose to forge and strengthen camaraderie between a group of mature game hobbyists. The company of good people becomes the best part of all of the games we play. While we strive to excel in the games we play with or against each other, excellence of character will always be more important than gaming skill.

No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em