MMO's

Noob computer spec question..

I can never tell if the video card I have is good enough for minimum specs or the recommended specs.. or if it is too crappy for either. The min says "NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT, ATI® Radeon® HD 3850, or better" and the recommended says NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460, ATI® Radeon® HD 5830, or better". I have an AMD Radeon HD 6670.. does that fall anywhere in there, or is it worse than those?

I don't even know if my CPU is good enough.. lol. Playing Wildstar beta, and I have my settings on low, but I am still lagging, all choppy and whatnot. I am sure it is my computer, not the game. Not sure if it is the video card or my CPU.. Intel® Pentium® Core2 Duo 2.4 GHz, AMD Phenom™ X3 2.3 GHz, or better is their min spec.. mine is AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2 GHz... I think my computer sucks.. haha!

Your video card does fall in the realm of minimum specs but with the lag and choppy feel of the game you are seeing it may be time for an upgrade. If you get something about one year old it will be well priced but still preform well for wildstar. Also how much ram do you have, its really cheep right now and is an easy upgrade. Newegg also running some good weekend sales in video cards you may want to look at. Hope you find one that fits your price. No expert for sure but let me know if I can help

Thanks! That is a lot more help than you may think :D I have 4GB ram atm. I don't have more room but they sell sticks bigger than 2, right? All of this computer stuff confuses me :P

Ok, here is what I have figured out so far... I have a low profile computer, and as such, my PSU is only 220W. So I am kind of limited as to the types of video cards I am able to get. I have 2x 2GB DDR sticks in there, so I can just buy a 4GB stick and replace one if you think I need the extra ram.. but I think it is probably just the card, and very well could just be the power supply not being enough for the card..

This computer stuff really makes my brain hurt.

With 220 watts available you are going to have some limits on what new video card you can get. The GTX 460 that wildstar was listed will take 160 watts to run at medium load. May be time to think about a new system. If its not the right time for that you may have to run at a lower resolution to get rid of the choppy feeling.

Ok, so apparently I can't even upgrade my power supply because of the slim case . I am just going to buy a new computer :P

A larger case will give you a lot more options for a gaming pc. I am just guessing but you may have a micro atx motherboard and case. If so this power supply should fit but to be sure you could pull your old one and measure it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104131 The other common power supply size is more like a elongated rectangle.  This may be getting more into it then you want too do. I really like building pcs but not sure what you would like to do (buy parts, vs premade system).

I have a friend that can build me a middle of the line pc for around $500. I told him.. I don't need fancy. I just want to run my games on low to med settings with minimal lag.. and I am happy !! Honestly, even if I got some super duper pc and I can play everything in the world on ultra.. I wouldn't. Settings that high hurt my eyes.. so I would be playing on lower settings anyway rofl

I just figured, if I have to buy a new case, buy a new power supply, buy a new video card.. I may as well get a new one altogether. It is already 4 years old or so and the cheapest prebuilt eMachine Walmart had hahaha

Excellent, sounds like a good deal. Enjoy the new found speed and lag free gaming.

About the Weary Warriors

The Weary Warriors Gaming Guild has the single purpose to forge and strengthen camaraderie between a group of mature game hobbyists. The company of good people becomes the best part of all of the games we play. While we strive to excel in the games we play with or against each other, excellence of character will always be more important than gaming skill.

No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em